Background

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Couch to 5K

Last October we attended the first annual "Huxman Run 2 Sweat" benefiting the National Foundation for Ectodermal Dysplasias (http://huxmanrun2sweat.com/ & http://www.nfed.org/ ). The event is organized by some family  members of mine, so, we made it priority to be there even though we knew we couldn't run the race (we were far too out of shape). At the Huxman Run 2 Sweat, there is a 1 mile run/walk, a 5k, and a 10k. We collectively (me, my husband, my sister and my mom) decided we would walk the 5k race (we were glad that others made the same decision). So, we walked the 3.1 miles. We had fun and supported family members and a great cause. After the race we (me, my husband, and my sister) said, "maybe we'll run it next year". And then.... we did nothing about it.


At the beginning of summer, I decided it was time for me to do something about getting in shape. I started by going on walks. I recruited my sister to walk with me. On one of our first walks we talked about how we were going to walk the 5k this year, but we were going to train and improve our times. Next, on my mission to getting in shape, I recruited my husband. We started taking nightly bike rides. Many nights I would go ride bikes with him and then go on a walk with my sister. I was determined to keep myself going, and wanted to keep them going, so I would do whichever kind of workout they wanted. During this time, I also decided that I wanted to run some. So, when they weren't available to workout with me, I started working out with the Couch to 5k workout. It's a workout I've started several times, but never stuck with very long. Somewhere during this time period I got myself an accountability partner. (My cousin Cathy has been great! I'm sure she has no idea how much she has helped me!) Then, summer came into full swing, and it was still over 100* when it was time for us to workout in the evenings. So, instead of getting heatstroke, we joined a gym!

About the time we joined the gym, we all decided that we weren't satisfied walking the race this October. We would train so that we would be able to run at least half of the race.


That race was this past Saturday. We went to Moundridge at stayed the night at Grandma's the night before so we were awake and ready on the chilly (or as my dad would say, invigorating) Saturday morning. My brother-in-law and his wife came to run it with us, too. We all finished the 5k and didn't even have to walk! My brother-in-law came in 2nd overall and my sister-in-law got a medal in our age group, too!

Anyway,  I just wanted to share an updated and about our experience. I'm so proud everyone!

My sister, Kendra, and me
Sister-in-Law Megan, Brother-in-Law Casey, Me, Cory

No comments: